Were you aware that there are options to drinking the sugar test drink? Well, there are! And talking to a doctor about it’s easy. You don’t have to decline it or feel as though you are ‘opting out’ of whatever – instead, you are enabling your body to get a reading during the exam!
You see, actual foods will give outcomes that are true.
According to the American Pregnancy Association:
“Pregnant women can develop a condition known as Gestational Diabetes (diabetes brought on by pregnancy) which could pose a risk to both mother and baby. A glucose tolerance test is a common type of testing for possible gestational diabetes”
Let’s get the basics right:
The body breaks down carbohydrates into sugar inducing insulin to be published. The insulin brings on the glucose and transports it to be stored for energy. When a girl is pregnant, the body leaves some sugar in the blood so that it may be passed to the baby through the placenta and umbilical cord.
Gestational Diabetes is diagnosed when there is too much in an quantity of glucose.
Science hasn’t found one special cause for gestational diabetes, but these are links that were possible:
- Excessive Carbohydrate or Sugar Consumption
- Autoimmune Issues
- Sleep Deprivation
The Dangers and Complications of Gestational Diabetes:
- Increased C-section Rates
- Increased NICU visits
- Birth Injuries (Such as shoulder dystocia)
- Large Babies: Although over 70% of ‘Big Infants’ are born to mothers without gestational diabetes, women with the condition are linked to having over average-sized babies.
- Neonatal Hypoglycemia: low blood sugar in baby.
- Fetal Hyperinsulinemia: the baby has higher amounts of insulin after arrival due to getting an excessive amount of sugar whilst in the womb.
- Increased risk of the mother developing type 2 diabetes later in life
Note: there’s no association between gestational diabetes and infant deaths.
What’s Gestational Diabetes Diagnosed?
Indications of Gestational Diabetes Include:
- Sugar in urine
- Unusual thirst
- Frequent urination
- Frequent vaginal, bladder, and skin ailments
- Blurred vision
It has become common practice for each woman to be tested for gestational diabetes. It’s unclear if that is really necessary, as only approximately 5% of pregnant women will be diagnosed, but because this condition can impact both baby and mom, I concur with testing for it.
Current guidelines recommend what is known as a “two step process” for screening for gestational diabetes. The very first step is a glucose challenge test (GCT). During the GCT, the girl has her blood sugar level tested one hour after , and then is given a sugar drink, Glucola. The girl will return to perform a version of the test when the results are above the normal range.
Glucola includes ingredients such as brominated soybean oil (BVO), food dyes, sodium benzonate, BHA, sodium hexametaphosphate, dextrose, and ‘natural flavorings.’
All these pose the issue of security. Preservatives and food dyes must raise a red flag, but what’s worse? This beverage includes an ingredient that is found in fire retardant products. BVO accumulates in the organs of the body and has been related to fatty changes in the liver, heart rhythms, and diminished growth and behavioral development. Studies link BVO to problems fluctuations in thyroid hormones and premature puberty.
Rather than swallowing Glucola, these options may be appealing:
- 50 GM of Organic Grape Juice (or apple juice)
- 50 GM of Jelly Beans (Just over 50 legumes): Of course, reach for your non-GMO, obviously colored version
- Glucolift is a natural, non-GMO, artificial colors & flavors absolutely free glucose pill. It’s made for individuals with type 1 diabetes who need to raise their blood sugar regularly. Each pill includes 4g of sugar, so you would have to take 12.5 pills to equivalent 50g of sugar.
- 50 GM Breakfast Meal: This may include many options so speak to your birth group or study that you would most favor.
Meals contain eggs, juice, toast, and fruit, but some midwives or physicians include pancakes! It’s harder to be exact with sugar amounts of food that is genuine, but real food the simplest is processed by the body and will give you the least likelihood of any stomach aches.
Make sure that you and your birth group speak, as they may have other options available as well!