Qualchoice Health Insurance attracted Yvette Coleman to notify everyone about this disease 1 from 8 Arkansans have.
More than 30 million people in the USA have diabetes. This disease has a big influence on the entire family, especially when a child is diagnosed. With 1.5 million new diagnoses every year, it’s a health issue nationally. There isn’t a cure yet for diabetes, but a healthy lifestyle can really reduce its influence on your daily life. As we take the month of November to focus on diabetes awareness, it’s very important to understand what diabetes is and the way we can handle it in our everyday lives as a household.
1. Three main Kinds of diabetes
· Type 1, Type 2, and gestational diabetes (diabetes while pregnant, which may put the pregnancy and infant at risk and lead to type 2 diabetes later)
· Type 1 – your own body stops producing insulin (a hormone that regulates blood sugar) because the body’s immune system has attacked and destroyed the cells that make insulin.
· Type 2 – your body does not use insulin well and is not able to maintain blood sugar at normal levels.
2. Health risks for people with diabetes
· For the past several decades there’s been an increase in the number of kids diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. For kids – the chance of developing by age 18 is about 1 in 300.
· For adults – should you have some of these risk factors below, ask your physician if you ought to be examined for diabetes : overweight, 45 decades or older, having a relative with type 2 diabetes, physically active less than 3 times a week.
· If left unattended, you may develop serious complications such as heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, blindness and early death.
· Using a health plan in place can help you manage your disease
· After a meal plan can allow you to feel better and maintain your blood glucose levels in your target range.
O Eat smaller parts, use less saltand eat fewer high in sugar foods
O More fiber from whole-grain foods
O Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables
O Eat hot fish at least two times per week. Fish can be a good choice to high heeled meats
O For snacks, try to eat pecans or almonds
· Engage in moderate-intensity physical activity at least 30 minutes a day, five days each week. Limit screen time by getting children to play outdoors.
O Outside games: Football, soccer, basketball
If you have been prescribed any drugs take them frequently and keep normal appointments with your provider. If you are living with diabetes, it’s important to make decisions that keep you and your loved ones healthy.